Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

New Look

My blog has had a face lift from the wrinkles of infertility. It's officially a pregnancy blog but will always have its roots in the community of infertility blogs. If you ever have any suggestions, let me know. I'm all about making it better for my readers!

So guess what? DH and I visited a hospital birthing center last night. It was exciting! One of the reasons we're shopping around so early is because we've got to pick an ob/gyn that delivers at the hospital of our choice. We'll be scheduling our first appointment with our ob/gyn in a couple weeks. Hospitals only give birthing center tours once or twice each month. We've got three hospitals to choose from: Beaufort, Hilton Head and Savannah. They are each 20 - 30 minutes away. I've heard that Beaufort and Hilton Head have really high c-section rates. I do not want to be induced or have a c-section unless it's absolutely necessary. I'm also a huge breastfeeding fanatic. I want to have the nursing support I need during those first couple days of breastfeeding. I've considered a midwife but DH doesn't like that idea. He thinks we should be in a hospital just in case something goes wrong. Supposedly there's a great midwife birthing center in Savannah but I think we're just not going to consider it.

So yesterday we visited Beaufort. It's the hospital my ob/gyn uses for deliveries. If we like Hilton Head or Savannah better then we'll be changing to a new ob/gyn. Beaufort's an older hospital but is in the process of renovating. I LOVE that they are transitioning to the Mother/Baby Couplet Care Program. The nurse told us as soon as the baby is born he or she will stay with the mother in the room. All cleaning, testing and etc. will be done by a transitional nurse in the room. She said right now they remove the baby for a couple hours after birth but that will no longer happen. They also have one nurse that is certified as a lactation consultant. I asked about the c-section rates and she said it's with the national average: around 30%. I was surprised.

I think we're checking out Hilton Head tonight. Savannah's next tour is August 2nd or September 13th. If we can't make the 2nd then I won't get to see that hospital before we have to go to an ob/gyn. Oh well.

I'm 5 weeks today!
(belly picture will be posted soon)

I'm counting down the days until my first ultrasound. I'm still not sure what day it will be but I'll know tomorrow. I've got my third beta tomorrow morning. I'll post with results and my first ultrasound date. Let's pray everything is growing as expected!

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats! I love the new look. Looks like we are only 4 days apart. :) I look forward to reading your updates since they will match with mine.:)

Crysbena said...

Yay!! I'm so excited for you!! I love the new look.

Danemama08 said...

COngrats, Congrats!!! Im so excited for you!

Melinda said...

Your new blog design is awesome!! Love it!! What hospital would you use in Savannah if you chose to birth there? My old obgyn is so wonderful and I'd be happy to give you his name if you want it. I'm actually sad that he won't be delivering our little one-he's that good. Good luck choosing!!

Melinda

Jess said...

I love the new look! I can't wait to see your beta results tomorrow! It seems like you have a few good choices in hospitals. I know you guys will make the right decision. I personally like the idea of the little one not having to leave the room and being able to stay with you the entire time.

babyparamore.blogspot.com

Erin said...

The new look is so adorable!

Good luck on all the hospital picking, you'll do what's right for you guys.

Cady said...

we did the same thing and picked our hospital before we picked our ob. some people thought i was doing everything backward, but as you said, you have to find an ob who delivers at the hospital you want to have your baby at.

mak'n Changes said...

AWE!!! Yay for babies!!! Im so so so so happy for you guys!

Shanny said...

So awesome! Good luck with making a decision!
Love the new look too =)

Ashley said...

Love the new look!! Good luck on the beta tomorrow:)

Joy@WDDCH said...

Great idea changing the blog up! Love it!!!

When will that old-fashioned hospital start doing the new stuff? Will it start before you even deliver?

twondra said...

Love the new look! Congrats!!!

Jill said...

I love the new digs! Very appropriate and very cute! You did a great job!

Also, glad to hear that the tours are going well!