Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Worried About OHSS

Yesterday in Savannah

So after 9 days of stims I have an estrogen level of 5,614. My ultrasound revealed tons of mature follicles: 18 on my right ovary and 15 on my left ovary. That's 33 total and they are all above 16 mm. The ultrasound tech had me scoot off the table which she said helps you relax. I barely felt anything! It was a nice relief because I was worried it would be painful. The ultrasound tech also kept saying "Wow! More just keep popping up!"

After the ultrasound I met with my nurse. She said that I responded very well to Follistim which resulted in many mature follicles. She told DH and me about OHSS and the symptoms to look for this week: nausea, vomiting, extreme bloating, shortness of breath, etc. She said call with any of those symptoms. She told me to drink 1 liter of Gatorade a day, eat foods with high sodium: chips, pepperoni, pickles, bacon, etc. and eat foods with high potassium: bananas, tomatoes, dried fruits, etc. This little pep talk freaked me out. I really don't want to get severe OHSS but I guess there's a high chance since I have so many follicles and such a high estrogen level. She told us the negatives of OHSS: draining fluid with a needle inserted in your stomach or canceling the transfer. Crazy! Scary! I'm going to start praying!

Oh and she did say I am getting a prescription in the morning to help prevent OHSS. It's something that starts with the letter "d". She said the generic started with "hyper...". She said I'll start taking it the day of the ER.

So any advice to share about OHSS and ways to prevent it?

My trigger is tonight at 10:15 PM. The ER is set for Tuesday morning at 9:15 AM. DH and I are supposed to get there 30 minutes early. I'm not supposed to drink anything after midnight tomorrow night. I've got to go back to Charleston in the morning for blood work. I think they are checking my HCG level.

10 comments:

Ashley said...

Good luck!! Sorry no real advice except to drink tons of gatorade!! ((HUGS))

sweetpeanme said...

Oh boy!!! You're getting close!! Praying that you continue to have a smooth ride!!!

Anonymous said...

I already emailed you back, but reading this post reminded me of a couple of things (it's been a while!).

My RE told me: high protein, high potassium, Gatorade.

Also, he prescribed some high blood pressure meds that do something fluid.

He also had me receive some IV fluids prior to ER...and again the day of ET.

Like I said, I DID have my ovaries drained, but he went through the vag wall with the LONG LONG LONG needle. He said that if he had to drain me again, he would go through my stomach which would be better. Luckily, he didn't have to.

Anyways, just try to take it EASY right now and please let me know if you have any questions.

OHSS is rough. I hope you don't get it!!

devon said...

Gotta be honest, I don't even know what OHSS is! But I did want to tell you I'll be praying for you! :)

Mrs. Hammer said...

Oh how scary. I will be praying that you avoid OHSS. I don't know about OHSS but I do know about nutrition - OJ has a TON of potassium in it compared with bananas. Here is a link to a great website on good sources of potassium: http://www.fruitsandveggiesmorematters.org/?page_id=134

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for you!! I'm sure everything will work out fine. Just take the precautions for the OHSS and you'll be okay!

Suzanne said...

Good luck with your ER! I'll be praying that you don't get OHSS.

Courtney said...

Wow, I can't believe your ER is already tomorrow morning! I'm so excited for you! I will be praying for you and your DH. I so hope you get your BFP!

Once Upon A Time said...

Good luck with your ER- I will be thinking about you and sending good wishes your way for no OHSS!

Tabitha said...

Yay! Good luck to you! I'll be praying for you!