Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Considering IVF

Am I really considering IVF? I'm officially desperate for creating a miracle with DH.

My nurse said the earliest appointment with our RE is May 20th. I was shocked. I thought we would be meeting with him in the next week or so, not a month from now. I'm still not even sure this is an IVF consultation. I'm assuming it's a consultation to talk about my last three IUIs and what he thinks we should do next. I told my nurse we didn't want to do another IUI cycle. She completely agreed and said our RE wouldn't want to do another IUI cycle either. I was concerned about getting any tests in before an IVF cycle because AF will be due right around May 20th. I don't want to have to wait ANOTHER month and start in late June. She said not to worry that they could fit in a sono and mock transfer. Do I need to be concerned? Now she did say to call her next week to see if there are any cancellations.

Okay, so does anyone what to share any initial advice about IVF? What usually happens first?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am trying to remember...I do remember that it seemed sort of overwhelming. We had to: do an IVF consult with our doctor - we also met with our IVF nurse at that one, meet to sign all of the consents and deal with $, meet with a therapist (NOT all REs require this), mock transfer (EASY), order meds...gosh, I can't remember.

If you KNEW you wanted to proceed with IVF, I would suggest calling and saying: CD1 will be on ____ and I REALLY want to get started on the IVF cycle that cycle. What do I need to do? Since you aren't SURE, then I think you need to have an IVF consult.

This all sucks, huh?

Jill said...

I'm sorry. :( The good news is that IVF is not nearly as bad as it seems -- it is so overwhelming at first, but if you take it one step at a time, you'll get through it just fine.

I just looked back at my blog from when I went through IVF #1 to try to figure out the timeline. I did the tests while I was taking BCP (as part of the cycle), so I didn't have to wait out a cycle. If you do a protocol that includes BCP, you'll have time to get everything done. Good luck, and if you have any questions at all I'm happy to answer them!

Amy said...

I am towards the end of my IVF cycle now...just had my retrival today. On paper it did seem quite overwhelming. I took it step by step and it wasn't nearly as stressful as I imagined. My re and nurses are amazing and I really think that makes a huge difference.

We decided to get started and within two weeks I had my meds and nursing appointment. If you have any questions, let me know!

Cady said...

when i started the ivf process, i was told the sonohist and trial transfer had to be done on cd 2-3, so your timing would be pretty good. the process can go pretty quick...consult and injection traning meeting, sonohist and trial transfer, order meds and you're a go!

sunflowerchilde said...

I'm sorry, I can't offer you any advice at all about IVF - I'm as clueless as you (probably more so). Good luck trying to figure it all out, and definitely be assertive with your RE.

sweetpeanme said...

I am totally in the same boat as you...I'm switching Drs and I'm going for my initial consult on May 1...
I feel like its time to bring out the big guns!! :o) Good luck!

Anonymous said...

No IVF advice, but I just wanted to wish you luck! I'll be thinking about you and praying for you.

Tabitha said...

I never thought I'd be heading to IVF. We're both young and healthy, and were told we were unexplained. So a few months ago when we found out we actually had some MFI issues, and that IVF was our best bet after 2 failed IUI's, I was shocked! We are now planning to cycle in July, and I'm still learning alot about the process! I have some good information and links on my blog, and you can e-mail me if you have any questions! It's really scary and disheartning at first, but now I'm getting more and more excited!

Joy@WDDCH said...

I don't have personal experience with IVF but wanted to give you a gigantic e-HUG!!!

Courtney said...

I'm almost exactly where you were. It went from 0-60 in considering IVF. It seems like if you guys have made your decisions about progressing, than be direct with your doc. If you still need time to think and pray about it, than perhaps this extra month could be a good thing.
I agree with what others have written, it is scary at first, and I'm still in the scary phase (my meds arrived this morning) but so far things are moving a long well and I think it will get a lot easier as this process becomes more 'normal'. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Mrs. Hammer said...

We are just waiting on one more test before possibly starting end of April. Before heading down the IVF road we met with our RE to discuss the process. I felt it was really important because we had some strong feelings about what we were and were not willing to do in our IVF cycle. I read "A couples guide to IVF" which was helpful because it was in layman's terms. I felt prepared when we had our chat with the RE.

Our first step after that was to have my FSH and prolactin tested. Then DH just had his SA with strict morphology (results pending) which would tell us if we needed ICSI. From there we will meet with the RN for a class on IVF and our clinic has you meet with a counselor. Then we do a mock transfer. All the while I will be starting on a cocktail of BCP, lupron and follical stimulating drugs prior to collecing the eggies.

I would strongly suggest pick up a book on IVF from the library to get yourself comfortable.

twondra said...

I agree with the others that the IVF process is extremely overwhelming at first. The best advice I can give is one day at a time. My clinic gave me a booklet and had everything written down for me day by day which was awesome.

We're all here for you!