Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Thursday, February 12, 2009

OMG! A CYST?

Q and I drove to Savannah for my u/s appointment this morning. Q's my friend struggling with IF. She seeing my RE in Charleston too. We laughed while walking in. We just knew we looked like the typical lesbian couple you'd see in a fertility clinic. I was the woman of the relationship: dressed all nice and girly (for work) and Q was the man of the relationship: dressed in jeans and sweat shirt (for relaxing because she didn't have to work).

So anyway, off to a room we go, giggling away! While Q's sitting right by my side all seems fine with the u/s UNTIL the probe goes over to my left ovary. And OMG! There was ginormous cyst. It looked like the size of my left ovary! My heart dropped. The RE said, "Have you noticed anything different about this period or anything?" I said, "No, not that I know of." She said, "Well this a very large cyst (3 cm). It is filled with fluid and see that small spot (can't remember what she called it). That's usually there around ovulation, not now." She called my RE in Charleston. Before she came back I knew what she was going to say: we had to take a break this month. Thank goodness Q was with me. I wasn't devastated but it was nice to share the shock with a friend that understands the ups and downs of IF.

We canceled my u/s appointment for Tuesday and left for brunch in downtown Savannah. My nurse in Charleston called me to say it isn't uncommon to have cysts after medicated cycles. She said not to worry about taking a break because it will be good my mind and body. She said we could try naturally with OPKs. I agreed with her. In a way I felt relieved. I thought, NO meds or appointments for a whole month. I bet that will be nice! She reminded me that patients have conceived during break cycles. I believe her but I'm not convinced it will happen to us.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is my cyst (3 cm) extremely large? Will it take more than one month to go away? My nurse said if it hasn't disappeared by next month they could aspirate it. Any other advice related to my concerns?

Thanks a million!

6 comments:

Baby Mama said...

Hey there I found your blog through Think Postive. So sorry to hear about your cyst, I've had cysts in the past and they usually go down on their own. I will be praying for that and for this month of taking a break to be a relaxing and refreshing one

ashley said...

I felt the same way when we had to take a cycle off for a cycsts, I had three but can't remember the size. What my doc told me is that if they don't disappear by the next month that I would have to do birth control to diminish them, luckily they went away on their own. And they also told me to "try" that month b/c there is still residual medicine left in your system. I hope yours goes away on your own and that you don't have to take any measures to remove it. That's one of the bad things about these meds, cysts happen frequently and really put a damper on things for the time being. Well, I hope you take this cycle in stride and enjoy the month without medicines and doctor appointments. Good luck next time.

Elaine said...

While I've never had a cyst I did take a break between IUI 1 and 2. It was the best possible thing I could have done!!!! So...all that to say, enjoy your month of rest! And using OPKs isn't a bad idea :) I have heard that cysts usually take care of themselves.

http://theheirtoblair.com said...

I had a cyst back in February, but of course it didn't have any relation to TTC. It burst & I had a lot of complications, but that is more rare.

I'm sorry you'll have to take a break -- but I have a few very dear friends that got pregnant with sticky babies on "breaks" & miracle unmediated cycles.

Hoping for our own Peanut said...

i had a cyst after my first iui. i dont know what it measured, but it was big enough to have to take a month off. following the month off, my period came like two weeks late. after that, it was all gone!

enjoy your month off. im sure you could use it!

Kerri said...

Hi there! I came across your blog yesterday and hope you don't mind if I follow your journey. I, too, am struggling with IF and have been for just about 2 years now. Anyway, I had a 3 cm cyst removed through a lap procedure last month. Mine was an endometrioma cyst, but mine was very clearly solid filled on the u/s screen. It sounds like yours was definitely fluid filled, so it should resolve on its own. Good luck, and try to enjoy your month off!