Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Nursing Bras

I've decided it's time to purchase a new bra or two.  I've considered purchasing nursing bras instead of regular bras.  I've been checking out my options in stores and online.  I need help!  There are too many styles out there.  How am I supposed to know which are the best?  I've read reviews online but they have just confused me.  I'm very close to ordering a few online and returning my least favorites.  Any recommendations?

Oh if you haven't tried on nursing bras before please know that it's a comical experience.  Mom and I went to Motherhood Maternity to check out their selection.  We laughed until we cried.  I felt so unattractive in their bras.  I tried on every style available.  They didn't fit right and they all felt uncomfortable.  They just seemed cheap.

Josh and I went shopping in Savannah yesterday.  We saw Medela bras at Babies R Us.  They looked comfortable.  We just decided to purchase my favorite regular bras at Victoria's Secret.  As soon as we arrived we realized their semi-annual sale was starting the next day, which is TODAY!  So we decided to go back today, which we haven't done yet.  We looked online this morning and guess what?  Victoria's Secret sells nursing bras!

If you are looking for nursing bras, here are a few options to check out online:







14 comments:

Melinda said...

I remember when I bought my first nursing bra. Jake and I laughed so hard we cried! Good luck finding the perfect one! Another option is a nursing tank. They'll hide your stomach when nursing in public.

Jennifer said...

I agree about the nursing tank especially when your baby is tiny. My favorite nursing bras are from Target and Motherwear - google it and you will find a pretty large selection. You are right they are cheap at Motherhood - I bought one and it lasted less than a month.

Kate said...

I guess I should maybe think about getting some of this stuff too. I have no idea how things will change though - I haven't needed any new bras so far. Went from a 34B to a 34C, but most of mine have enough give that that wasn't a problem. The Bravado ones look good, as do a couple of the Medela ones. I hope I can find a place to try them on!
I tried one nursing tank at Target and hated it. Should probably have shopped again in the bra section last time I was in the US...

Anonymous said...

I agree, shopping for nursing bras is a huge pain! I had to try some on at Target since that is the one place I've been since I've been on bed rest. I ended up just giving up and buying the stretchy ones that seem more like a sports bra. The others were just so uncomfortable!

SO good to know Victoria's Secret sells them, I will definitely do some online shopping there!

Drew's mom said...

I would recommend nursing tanks as well. I spent WAY too much money on expensive nursing bras that I didn't end up using. On the other hand, I wore nursing tanks almost every day for oh...nine months or so! The best part about the tanks is you can wear a zip up hoodie, cardigan, etc. and get ease of entry for baby without baring a post-pregnancy stomach. The Target nursing tanks are a good economical way to go, but if you can, I highly recommned the "Bravado" brand tanks. They fit very snug (supposed to) and make everything look a little more toned than it really is. I thought these were great relief when my milk was just coming in and I was full and sore. Plus I love the "ballet" gathering at the chest...adds a little feminine touch when you're not feeling so beautiful :)

Mush said...

http://www.hotmilklingerie.co.nz/

I didn't buy anything from this company but a lot of my friends rate it quite highly.

I use a company called Perfect Fit here in the UK. Not the best looking things but plenty of support and have lasted me through 2 babies so far.

Hope that helps.

Jennifer said...

I didn't know Victoria Secret had them! I will have to check them out.

Joy@WDDCH said...

The thing about VS bras is that they are underwire.

I bought The Original Bravado nursing bra and love it. I love that they also have a way to figure out your measurements while still pregnant.

The only thing I don't like about this particular design is that it goes on like a sport bra so I can't just undo the back and take it off. I have to shimmy out of it. So I think I would get another Bravado but a different style.

Joy@WDDCH said...

Oh and I've tried Target (Lange) and Motherhood Maternity nursing bras. They are complete crap. Do NOT waste your money on them. Especially if you're a larger gal.

Torie said...

I'm so thankful for this post! I feel as thought I need to start looking for nursing tanks or atleast have an idea about them. Thanks for bringing up the question, Stella's mommy and for everyone's feed back!

Michelle said...

I've never posted here before, but after 2 breastfed babies and plenty of nursing bras I though I'd add my 2 cents =)
My favorites are the Bravado bras. In my experience they run a little small, but are supposed to be snug. Very comforable. And I also suggest NOT getting a nursing bra with underwire- Even if you usually do in a regular bra. It's very difficult to flip the flap down on a bra with underwire. And with big ole boobs the last thing you need is underwire digging into them =) Good Luck!

Jennifer said...

Thanks for the help! I was going to go bra shopping tomorrow and have also been contemplating a nursing bra. I just have to do something stat because I can't stand another day in my current bra.

Love B&P said...

Motherhood... while they are less expensive - not worth it...

Medela... I used those last time and they are okay (ie they get the job done)

BRAVADO... I LOVE these :)I am using them this time around and they are my favorite!

Be careful with VS nursing bras... while lovely, I think several of them have underwire - that can lead to some very painful clogged ducts

And a nursing tank is wonderful as well - that's all I wore in the hospital this time around :)

Good luck!

busygal said...

Hey Chelsea! I am so excited. March 24th would be better :). We love you. Lara