Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Contractions Galore

I've almost been "contraction free" for a few weeks now.  I've had a few here and there but for the most part they haven't dominated my daily thoughts.  It's been nice not worrying about going into preterm labor. 

But guess what?  Things changed last Friday night! 

I woke up Friday morning with swollen ankles.  I couldn't see my ankle bones.  I have CANKLES!  I've taken the advice of elevating my feet.  It hasn't helped much.  I'm trying to stay off my feet as much as possible.  It's hard staying off your feet when your teaching first graders.

My contractions, or maybe there are just braxton hicks, are back in full force.  They started on Friday night as we drove to Raleigh.  I had about four or five within an hour.  I decided to take my prescription for Terbutaline.  It worked wonders.  I didn't have any more contractions that night.  I had a few more over the weekend though.

Last night I woke up with several contractions.  I'm not sure how many but they always woke me up.  Today at school I had several in the afternoon.  I almost went by my doctor's office after school but I decided to go home and rest.  I thought that would help.  It helped a bit but now they are back.  What is going on?  I'm getting ready to take Terbutaline again.  I really hate having to take it but I think its needed.  I should have taken it last night and this afternoon.

Josh and I have an appointment tomorrrow afternoon.  We're having an ultrasound to check on Stella's growth.  I'm sure my doctor will check my cervix after all of this uterine activity.  I'll keep you posted.  Let's all hope for the best!  I can't WAIT to meet Stella but I want her to stay inside until she is full term.  I want her to start her life as a healthy little girl.

6 comments:

Kelly said...

Hi there! What will you do about school if baby Stella comes early? How long do you plan on being out?

I have a heart to heart with this little one every single night telling him to stay comfy another few weeks! I only have 5 weeks of sick leave saved up but am planning on taking all 12 through FMLA. I really want to be able to stay out the remainder of the school year but our due date until the end of school is 10 weeks! I am keeping my fingers crossed I won't have to go back for a week or two in May!!

Kate said...

At least they're not sustained at this point, which to me is a really good sign. Hope all's well on your scan tomorrow! They haven't checked my cervix since 28 or 29 weeks, I don't think At least you can be reassured that at 32 weeks your baby stands a very minimal chance of having any chronic problems from prematurity, and in all likelihood would be able to breath with very little assistance. 32 weeks is a huge milestone, so congrats!

Courtney said...

Praying for you girl! I hope that your appt goes really well tomorrow and that Stella stays put for now!

Mrs. Chapman's 2nd Grade Class said...

Hope the medicine works and your contractions are gone by morning.

Lauren said...

That's really interesting that your OB is at all concerned about your contractions. Starting at 10 weeks I had at least 20 a day (during my waking hours). Around 20 weeks it raised to 40, and now at 31.5 weeks I have at LEAST 50 a day. I've had 8 in half an hour on several occasions.

I told my OB about it but he's really not concerned. He said that I have an irritable uterus, and that some people feel their uterine activity more than others. He would never give me a prescription to stop the contractions unless I was actually in labour.

I've been at least 1 cm dialated since sometime before 29 weeks. Maybe it's just me, but I really wouldn't be too concerned about your contractions. Unless they get really strong and long and regular (ie. every 5 minutes) then they're just Braxton Hicks. Think of it as your uterus practicing for labour to make things easier on you! :)

Anonymous said...

Hope the doctor is able to reassure you that everything is a-ok. I don't know much about contractions but I'm sure they'll be able to tell at your appointment what needs to be done.