Wow! I'm 26 weeks pregnant! I can't believe how quickly time flies during pregnancy. It sure didn't fly by when we were trying to get pregnant. I wish it were the other way around. I love being pregnant. As I'm typing right now she is moving and kicking. It's fun to watch. I decided to turn some music on for her. We're listening to a few songs from the Mamma Mia soundtrack. I'll take a video of her moving soon and post it.
Josh and I had an appointment yesterday. Everything went well. My bump is measuring perfectly -- 26 weeks. We listened to her heartbeat for a few seconds. I had my glucose test too. My doctor pricked my finger an hour after I drank that orange drink. By the way, the orange drink isn't that bad. It tastes like orange soda. My level was 140. She said it was right on the border so I am going to have the 3 hour glucose tolerance test after Christmas -- December 28th. It's at 8 AM. I'm not supposed to eat or drink anything after midnight. Then I think this following will happen at my appointment: draw my blood, drink the orange drink, draw my blood after an hour and draw my blood after two hours. If my levels are high then I'll be diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I'll have to go on a strict diet, prick my finger four times a day and have more monitoring appointments to make sure the baby isn't getting too big. I talked with a few girls at work today. Most said they had it or had friends that had it. They all said the babies that were born around 8 to 9 pounds, and were 2 to 3 weeks early. I'm not familiar with gestational diabetes. Any words of wisdom?
Here's a definition of Gestational Diabetes:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gestational-diabetes/DS00316
Hello world!
2 years ago



8 comments:
A few of my friends had to go back for the 3 hour test and all of them received negative results that time so hope you do too! Oh and I didnt think the orange juice was too bad either!
I had to do the 3-hour as well. My levels were 137 I believe. I passed the 3-hour! It was sooooo boring, though, so bring a really good book, headphones or even your laptop if they have Internet access.
A blog friend of mine had GD and her baby was born about 3 weeks early and he was 7 lbs and a few ounces. Perfectly average! A baby isn't considered large unless they are over 9-9.5 lbs.
Good luck!!! Hope you pass with flying colors.
I don't have any advice for you, but you will be in my prayers! I hope all goes well and I am glad to hear that all else is going great.
I know we don't know each other but I have followed your blog for awhile and have been praying for your pregnancy. I'm so happy for you and your husband.
I was also diagnosed with gestational diabetes, after my 3-hour test. It really wasn't too bad; the diet is pretty straight-forward and I actually learned a lot about healthier eating and felt so much better doing it! The blood sugar checks 4 times a day are inconvenient but it does keep you accountable to the diet. When I kept measuring BIG despite being on the diet and having completely normal blood sugars, I had to start going in every 2 weeks for an ultrasound and NST (non stress test). The ultrasound was to measure the baby of course.
The non stress test is where they put you in a room in a comfy chair usually for about an hour, hooked up to the fetal heart monitor. They give you a button to push, and every time you feel the baby move/kick, you push the little button. This was to make sure that the baby's heart rate climbed with each movement, which means all is normal and the blood sugars aren't affecting the baby in a harmful way.
At around 37 weeks she was still measuring close to 9 lbs so they decided to do a c-section instead of making me induce, try to push her out, and risk injuring her because of her size. They "took her" at 38 weeks to prevent her from getting too big and she was 9 lbs, 8 oz. Anyway, it wasn't so bad, and all worth it in the end of course!
Anyway, that was long winded I know, but hopefully some of it was helpful. I wish you the best!
Haley
Hopefully the 3 hours test will come back perfectly normal. I have several friends who had to do it and all of theirs came back negative. We have our test on Friday...glad to hear the juice isn't too bad. It's in our fridge waiting for me!
i failed my one hour but passed my 3 hour glucose test as well. so i will keep my fingers crossed for you.
GDM (gestational diabetes) isnt really too bad...usually you can control it with watching what you eat. a little inconvenience...but worth it for a healthy baby!!!! and yes you are prone to having a bigger baby, having GDM with any more pregnancies you have, and possible developing diabetes later in life.
Aw, I'm sorry to hear that - I'll be praying for you.
Congrats on making it to 26 weeks!:)
I had GD. In my blog I recounted my whole story with it, and my baby was perfectly healthy, 7lb12oz at birth. I hope you don't have it, because the diet was a little boring and tedious (and I ended up in the hospital for a week over uncontrolled GD) but if you do it's totally manageable usually, and you'll be fine!
Post a Comment