Whoa! Today was filled with too many emotions. It was an overwhelming and unexpected day but I guess that's normal for newly IVFers. I'm just glad the day is almost over. DH and I decided to go to the gym at 8:30 tonight. We ran our hearts out on those treadmills. Now we're ready to "sleep on it." Maybe we won't be as overwhelmed with the costs of an IVF cycle when we wake up. Wishful thinking, right?
So anyway!
DH and I anxiously woke up and headed to Charleston this morning. We browsed through most of The Couple's Guide to In-Vitro Fertilization. We were a little excited and a little nervous. We didn't really know what to expect during our consultation.
Our RE put us at ease from the beginning. We started by talking about my 3 IUI cycles. They all went so well but what went wrong. We'll never know and that's part of unexplained infertility. We talked about the expensive laparoscopy surgery that could pinpoint our problem but whether a problem is pinpointed or not the treatment will not change. IVF is what's next especially after 3 IUIs failed.
We discussed our statistics. These were formulated based on our 14 months of trying, with 2 failed Clomid cycles and 3 failed Ovulation Induction/IUI cycles. We found these very interesting.
If we continue...
-trying naturally we have a 1% - 2% and it's free.
-with another ovulation induction and IUI cycle we have a 5% - 10% (this was lowered since our last 3 IUIs failed) and it costs about $2,000.
-with an IVF/ICSI cycle we have a 60% - 65% and it costs about $12,000.
We all agreed that an IVF/ICSI cycle would be our next best bet. We talked about the entire process. Afterwards we met with our IVF nurse coordinator. She explained everything again and we talked timelines. I'm supposed to start a new cycle next week (PRAY a new cycle doesn't start!). If we go forward I would start BC pills on CD 4. That would probably be next week or the next. I'll probably stay on BC pills for 4 weeks or so. During that time I'll have a sonoHSG and trial transfer: June 3 to be exact. Meds, ultrasounds, etc. will be throughout June. Our expected transfer date would be around July 4th. And yes, I've already figured out our expected due date: late March of 2010!
After meeting with our nurse we were whisked away and taken to our financial advisor: this was SCARY! The numbers presented to us made our stomachs churn. We are so thankful to have infertility benefits (70% covered). But still, that 30% we have to pay is still expensive! We both looked at each and whispered "Why us?" Even though we have coverage it's still outrageously expensive. What if it doesn't work? We are out all that money! What if it does work? Our miracle(s) will be worth every penny but we'll be out all that money. That money could pay for so many other things that soon to be parents and newborns need and want.
I'm pretty sure we've decided to move forward but it's not etched in stone. The costs suck! But the timing of it all seems right. It will be during my summer break. I'll be more relaxed. I'll be due in the spring and hopefully I'll be able to take the rest of the school year off. That's what I originally wanted when we started trying last year. We'll figure it out. As my sister told me tonight when there's left to do just lift it up it in prayer. So that's what we are going to do.
Good night and say a prayer for us. I'm praying for you too!
Hello world!
2 years ago



12 comments:
Oh how the money issues hurt! I follow a blog where the momma has the "costs of belly" posted at a whopping $24,000. But her daughter was worth it.
As far as being out the money and worrying about baby items--- don't worry! People will buy almost every single thing you'd need for baby-to-be. Really! It's hard to believe but they do.
*HUGS*
Praying this IVF works!
oh i hope the IVF works for you!!! how wonderful that you could be pg in a few months! DH and i talk about the costs a lot too, but you know, when it happens, that will be the last thing you care about. and like joy said, people will buy you so many things. best of luck!
Gosh, it's so expensive! I do the same thing and think of all the cute baby things I could have bought with the money we have spent and will spend. I really hope that the IVF works for you guys. I will be praying for you!
oh boy, i remember that day too well. glad you made it through alive, and with a plan.
i still cant get over that fact either..thinking how much we could have saved toward our babys future, rather than MAKING it.
i wouldnt change it though, and im sure youll be saying the same thing in a few months.
Wow. That's a lot to swallow, I bet. I am praying so hard for you. And I truly believe that you WILL have that baby one day, whether it's through IVF or not. Good luck and I reallllly hope the IVF works!
Wow, things are really moving along! I will keep praying for you!! Just remember that God won't give you more than you can handle. Keep lifting your worries and concerns up to Him. I know that He will continue to bless you and your husband and I hope it's in His will for you to be parents really soon!! :-)
Oh I am praying for you. Its so unfair to be worrying about money through all of this and to have it be such a big factor but I know how hard it is to not worry about it.
Your baby will be worth all the wait and all the expense.
Praying for you!
I know the sticker shock is unbelievable, but having a successful cycle is SO worth every penny that we ended up spending! You can also claim certain expenses as tax deductible (mileage to and from the dr., co-pays and sometimes the cost of the procedure depending on your financial circumstances). I'm so excited for you and will be praying!
In 2007, we spent over 40k (we were doing shared risk, however, so we got a lot of $ back in the end!) -- it HURTS. But I'm sure it will be completely worth it. I think you are making the right decision.
And yes, keep track of EVERY penny. Mileage, parking, etc. You can expense everything over 7.5% of your income (I think it is 7.5). Keep receipts from ANYTHING medical -- dentist, regular prescriptions, etc. You can add it all up!
I remember how overwhelming the IVF consult was. As you have time for it all to sink in and everything, you will begin to feel much better, I promise! IVF really isn't so scary!
What big choices. What I kept coming back to when we decided to do IVF is that there would always be reasons (say 12,000 reasons) not to do it. But we wanted a family. This doesn't mean it will work out the way we want OR that I have any sort of answers, I just know that I would've regretted not trying more than trying. I don't know if that's helpful or more confusing. BUT, whatever your choice, as long as you guys feel good about it, that's what you should do.
Good luck with these mondo choices!
You did have a big day!!! I really hope you decide to go through with it.. I understand everything that you say and feel... I'm doing my
1st IVF/ICSI cycle right now..
And have MANY fears..BUT it will be worth it all to have a baby/babies...
We feel that we have to try..
and "Never Give Up" with God's help:)
I'm praying for you sweetie... just do what is best for you.. and what you feel God wants you to do:)
Post a Comment