Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Thursday, October 8, 2009

SURGERY

I am on an update overload! I've added three posts (15 Weeks, 16 Weeks and Weekend in Charleston). This will be my fourth and final post for tonight. So enjoy! Actually, you probably won't enjoy reading it but you will find it interesting!

So after a wonderful weekend in Charleston my roomie and I woke up on Sunday morning and started packing to go home. I remember sneezing several times while getting ready. I started to feel cramps, pains and twinges. I felt hot. I laid down for a few minutes but that didn't seem to help. We went out to breakfast before driving home and I started to notice that most of the pain was on my right side. I started to feel like I was going to vomit. On my way home I stopped in a parking lot and laid down in my back seat. I thought maybe it was round ligament pain and I just needed to relax. Laying down did NOT help! I gave up on trying to relax and just headed straight home. I had to talk to myself the whole way home. I was saying things like "I will be home soon! I will lay down when I get home! I will feel better soon! The baby is okay!" I had never experienced that type of pain. I seriously considered driving straight to the ER but instead I drove straight home. I was hoping that being "home" in my own bed would make me feel better. I was wrong! The pain became worse when I got home. I couldn't lay still or get in a comfortable position.

Josh was still out of town at a conference so I called Q. She came right over and drove me to the ER. Q is a heaven sent friend and I can't imagine life without her. She listened to me whine about the pain over and over again. She waited with me for hours in the ER. She rubbed my back when I thought I was going to die from pain. She held the trash can while I vomited from the pain. She held my hand while the nurse was putting in my IV. She was AMAZING and I couldn't have survived that experience without her.

Q was finally relieved by Josh. He arrived right before they mentioned SURGERY!

So after lots of blood work, three rounds of IV pain meds and an ultrasound that confirmed our baby was okay, the doctors thought it was either my appendix, my right kidney or my right ovary. They were all leaning towards my appendix because my white blood count was extremely high. They said that signaled an infection which can be caused by an appendix that is close to rupturing. When they recommended SURGERY Josh and I were a little shocked. They said the risk of exploratory laparoscopic surgery was low compared to the risk of my appendix rupturing. Josh and I asked lots of questions and finally decided to start the process. We signed lots of paper work and we headed to the OR. I remember being wheeled into the OR in pain! Two surgeons and my ob/gyn did the surgery. It was so comforting to know my ob/gyn was in there. After 45 minutes of surgery I woke up with Josh by my side, feeling NO pain and hearing my ob/gyn saying "Look! Here's your baby with a strong heartbeat!" She also showed us pictures of the surgery.

So guess what happened?

My right ovary had twisted around TWICE which was the cause of my pain! It's called Ovarin Torsion. During surgery they untwisted my ovary. Thankfully my ovary will recover because the blood flow wasn't completely cut off. My ovaries are still a little enlarged from IVF meds so that's why my right ovary twisted. It was just too heavy and maybe my sneezing triggered it to twist.

Now I have two nasty scares from surgery. They made two incisions: one in my belly button and one a couple inches below my belly button. I'm not going to be able to have the cute pregnant belly pictures because of these two scars. Oh well!
Here's a picture of the surgery they did:

It grosses me out to know they did this to me!

Here are a couple pictures of my incisions:

My belly button scares me!

18 comments:

Joy@WDDCH said...

Oh my goodness girl!!! I'm glad it wasn't your appendix but a twisted ovary?! OUCH! Just the thought of it makes me want to vomit in pain.

I'm so sorry you went through that but relieved all is well! And scars are sexy so don't you worry about that!!!

http://theheirtoblair.com said...

Holy crap!! I'm just thankful that you & the babe are doing alright. Prayers for a speedy recovery, m'dear.

and trust me, your belly will still be so presh :)

Anonymous said...

I would do it all over again if I needed to, but sure hope I dont!!! Love ya!

mak'n Changes said...

Well I guess the light hearted thing to say would be, "girlfriend, don't get it twisted!". But I think it would be better to say, "I'm so glad you and the baby are safe!". How crazy that an ovary can get twisted up like that. Sheesh. Well please take care of you and the little munchkin and try not to stress about your scars, your baby bump is gonna be cute no matter what!
Cindie

Allison said...

Oh my gosh! I'm so glad that you and the baby are ok!

Jessica said...

I'm glad you are doing well...that must have been really scary. I am actually having that surgery in 2 weeks to check for endometriosis. I am scared, but hearing that you had it done while you were pregnant makes me realize I will be fine. I'm sorry you had to go through that but, thank you for sharing your experience

Jill said...

Holy moly girl! That's wild! Glad you are doing alright!! WOWO!

Momma Wilson said...

Oh my goodness is right! Your pain and experience sounds exactly like what I went through at 11 weeks. Only after a week in the hospital and lots of tests my doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong with me... I wonder if I had the same thing. My ovaries are still enlarged from my meds (and my baby is 4 months old). My white blood cell count was really high as well and they chalked it up to a bladder infection... Glad you are pain free and the baby is doing good!

Kate said...

Wow! Glad baby's ok, and that you caught it in time to keep your ovary. It would have sucked to be down to one when/if you cycle for sibilings for your baby!
I'm sure those scars will heal up nicely.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, how scary! I am so glad that they were able to fix everything. Your belly will be back to normal in no time!

Tam said...

Glad the surgery went well! We are due around the same time!! yay!

Courtney said...

Oh my! I'm so glad that you caught this and that you and the baby are doing well.

Jessica said...

Oh my! I'm so glad that you and the baby are okay. I just love Charleston too...if I ever want to move again, that is where I'm going!!!

Jill said...

How scary! Thank goodness you and the little one are ok!

Melinda said...

I'm sure that was terrifying for you! So glad everything is going well now. Your belly pics are adorable...getting bigger!!

sweetpeanme said...

WOW!!!! That is absolutely crazy!! So glad everything is okay with the baby!!!

Don't worry about the scars! Keep taking those pics!!! :o)

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! That's crazy! But take a deep breath! You'll still be able to have those cute belly pics! The scars will fade and eventually you'll try to find them and won't be able to! I had surgery and those were the same two places I was cut. With in 6 months they had faded a lot. I put neosporine on my like crazy!
So glad to hear it was something easily fixed and SOOO glad your better!

Brandi said...

What an ordeal! Glad you are no longer in pain! I also had laproscopic surgery, mine was at 15 weeks. I had to have my gall bladder removed. Scary stuff, not for us but more for the babies! God is good. :)