Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Recovery

One of my many sweet gifts from Mom!
It's a Boo-Bunnie Ice Pack for baby!

So now that my surgery story is documented, let me tell you about the recovery. I don't really remember being wheeling into my hospital room but I do remember my Mom arriving soon after I moved into my bed. I think it was around midnight when we finally got settled. There's nothing more comforting than your Mom being with you in difficult times. Thanks again Mom! Josh, Mom and I chatted about my eventful night as the nurses came in to check my vitals. Josh decided to grab dinner for us. McDonald's was the only fast food restaurant open. As soon as he brought the bags of food in our room the nurse came in and reminded me to take it easy. She said McDonald's might not be a good choice for me so soon after surgery. I wasn't that hungry anyway so I opted out of greasy food and ate some crackers instead. The nurse also told us that only one person could stay the night. Mom said she would go to our house and let Josh stay with me. Josh and I tried to go to sleep but we just couldn't. Our nurse came in every hour and I had to use the restroom every half hour (which involved my nurse because she had to take those compression things off my legs -- I think they prevent blood clots). My surgeon came by in the morning to check on my incisions. He said everything looked great. My ob/gyn came by to listen to our baby's heartbeat. It was great to hear that "gush, gush, gush" sound. Mom came back to relieve Josh so he could go home, shower and rest. I was finally released around 3 PM.

Josh went back to work on Tuesday. Mom and I had a great time together. We just relaxed and took it easy. Although Mom didn't take it as easy as me. She did so many wonderful and helpful things which include: cleaning, laundry, cooking and baking! It was very much appreciated. Josh and I have enjoyed her delicious cooking and baking all week. I decided to go back to work on Wednesday. I'm not sure why I went back so soon. I wish I had stayed out Wednesday and started back Thursday. My stomach was really hurting on Wednesday. It made Thursday and Friday even harder because I was so exhausted. My poor first graders wanted to hug me when they saw me but I had to tell them that my tummy was hurting and they couldn't hug me for a few days. After school on Wednesday Josh and I went to my follow up appointment at my ob/gyn. We heard the heartbeat again so that assured me that everything was okay with our little one.

Now it's Saturday and I'm feeling much better. I've been taking it easy all day which has been nice!

5 comments:

Kerri said...

So glad you're feeling better and recovering nicely. I had laparoscopic surgery back in January for an ovarian cyst and remember the painful tummy days that followed. I, too, was lucky enough to have my mom come stay with us and she did a lot of baking, cooking, and cleaning too. Aren't moms the best?! Take care of yourself and keep relaxing!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

So glad that you are ok...my appendix ruptured when I was 5 and half months pregnant, on our way home from Disney World.....I ended up having surgery in New Orleans....in a strange hospital..spent 10 days on massive antibiotics...and delivered a healthy, full term little girl 3 and half months later....after a 1 hour labor...and she will be 28 next Saturday....Your story brought back a lot of memories...

Brittney said...

I'm so sorry about your surgery. That's so scary!! But I'm really glad you're okay and your baby's okay, and that you're feeling better now.

Wanted to let you know that I have an award waiting for you on my blog:)

Anonymous said...

OMG 2 weeks to the big u/s!!!

Courtney said...

Hey! You have an award on my blog!