Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

My New Calling

What did you want to be when you grew up?

I always wanted to be a kindergarten or first grade teacher.  Younger children have always melted my heart.  They are so sweet and innocent.  They are sponges that want to soak up the world around them.  My heart always smiles when I see little kindergarteners in the hallway.

I was a teacher cadet in high school.  I went straight to college and quickly declared my major in education.  I had awesome internships and student teaching experiences in college.  I graduated with high hopes and excitement.  I was ready to change the world, one student at a time!  Oh, and let's not forget that my grandmother and mother are both educators.  Teaching comes natural in my family.

Well...

I'm not going into details but now I completely understand why most new teachers (usually very talented teachers) leave the profession within the first five years.  It's just too much!  I love teaching and I love children but it's everything else that drives you out of the profession.

So yes, I'm finally out of the teaching profession.  I am very thankful.  I feel very lucky.  I taught first grade for four years.  I resigned on June 21st.  It was my 26th birthday and the best birthday gift ever!  It was one the BEST days of my life.  I'm serious!  I felt so liberated as I walked out of that school building for the very last time.  I knew I was going to love my new life as a Mommy and caregiver to my friends' babies but I didn't realize how much I was going to love it.

My life just seems too good to be true.  I love being home with Stella each day, and I love taking care of my friends' babies.  I'm just soaking in every moment!  Last week I sent Josh a text that said "I love my life with you and Stella.  It's perfect." 

It's interesting to think about my life when I was teaching and when I was going through fertility treatments.  I was in a very different place than I am now.  My best advice to anyone who is struggling with life -- trust in God's plan for you!  I wish I had been more trusting during the last few years in my life.  Instead I was questioning everything: Why me?  Why us? 

Okay so pictures from a typical day at my house:


Morning Stroll in our Quad Stroller


Morning Play


Story Time


Afternoon Play


Sweet Toes


Sharing a Book


Afternoon Group Play


Our First Experience with Pumpkins

Happy Fall!

2 comments:

Joy@WDDCH said...

What a lovely home daycare!!! It looks like you're doing great. I LOVE the pictures of all the babies together. They look like they enjoy the care they receive too. I know too many babies hurt or beaten by their caregivers (one of my cousins is severely brain damaged after his nanny shook him and hit his head on the wall). It makes my heart SING to see a care provider giving infants a safe, nurturing environment to grow.

Jennifer said...

Oh my goodness! You have the perfect day now! So glad you get to take care of 4 precious babies every day.