Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

In Home Day Care

I think a few of you are wondering "How do you take care of four babies?"  Everyone always asks "What do you do when they all starting crying?"  First of all, they do not all cry at the same time.  And second of all, I take care of really good babies.  I'm lucky!  They are sweethearts.  I'm sure my background in education and classroom management has helped.  I was always a super organized teacher with a strength in classroom management.  I was a very calm teacher even though I really wasn't calm inside my mind.  So anyway, I'm always looking forward to spending my week days with babies.  I used to dread the week days.  And my weeks at work used to go by so slow.  Now my days fly by and my weeks are over in a flash.  I've never loved a job so much that I would do it without pay but I love this job so much that I really would do it without pay.  But right now we need the money, so yes, I'm being graciously paid by some awesome parents.

So what does it take to have an in home day care?

You must:
-have a sincere love for babies.
-have a calm demeanor.
-have patience and understanding.
-have lots of fun baby gear.
-have a good sense of humor.
-be happy and smile.
-be able to plan and organize.
-be able to pick on the first cues of hunger, tiredness, etc.
-be creative, silly and fun
-be able to read books, sing songs and dance with enthusiasm all day.

I'm sure I left out several things but those are the first few thoughts that came to my mind.  If you have any questions, just ask!

4 comments:

juliane2004 said...

I wrote this on a TheBump.com forum, but maybe you can help too?

My 11.5 month old has been a typically content baby, especially when we are out (shopping, visiting, etc). At home, though? It's a different story.

She has an ideal awake time of about 3-3.5 hrs (i.e. in order for her to have a good, long, 2-3 hr nap). Any shorter than this, and she cries at naptime and it only lasts about 40 minutes.

At home, our morning typically goes like this:

wake & play in crib - 10 minutes
play in playpen - 20 to 30 minutes
eat bottle - 10 minutes
then, ALL HE-LL BREAKS LOOSE.

I can't even get dressed, have breakfast or brush my hair without DD crying in her playpen after her bottle.

She is totally fine if we go out somewhere, but she can't seem to be content past about 1 hour in our home. It's an apartment, and it's small, so she doesn't have a lot of room to move so I think that's part of it, but I seriously can't keep going out every time she's awake.

AND, to top it off, it seems like she's developed a new cry/scream that only stops when I play with her or pick her up.

At this age, should I be leaving her to play longer by herself (i.e. let her cry until she stops)? Should I keep going out every awake time? Help please!

juliane2004 said...

PS. Thanks :)

IVF Again! said...

I wish I could help you out but I'm still learning myself. I haven't experienced that age yet so I'm not sure. I'm sorry! Hopefully someone on thebump.com can share some wisdom.

Kelly said...

Props to from one daycare provider to another. I watch 4 babies, and 7 kids in age range from 2-5. :)