My first OB appointment was at the beginning of August. It went very well! I decided to switch OBs for several reasons but the most important reason was the hospital. I will be delivering our twins at a nearby hospital with a Level III NICU. It makes me to feel better to know a NICU is available if needed. The hospital is 30 minutes away which is nice too. My new OB's practice has several high risk OBs on board. My OB actually had triplets last January. I really enjoyed talking to her about my twin pregnancy. She said that moms of multiples have a instant bond and she's become good friends with a lot of her patients that have had twins.
She highly recommended a book which my insurance company is sending me. Of course I went to the library to pick it up because I'm sure my insurance company will not be sending it for a few weeks. I've already read through most of the book. It's called "When You're Expecting Twins, Triplets or Quads". So far I've really enjoyed reading it. It's all about research proven ways to have a long, healthy pregnancy. It really stresses the importance of eating healthy and gaining most of your weigh during the beginning of the pregnancy instead of trying to gain it at the end. Her reasons make a lot of sense. As of last week I've gained a total of 10 pounds. The book recommends gaining 25 pounds by 20 weeks. So I've got 15 pounds to go in 10 weeks. I'm sure I will not have a problem gaining weight. I gained 60 pounds with Stella. Yes, that's right! 60 pounds is the maximum weight recommendation for a twin pregnancy, not a singleton pregnancy. Thankfully it came off quickly and I'm hoping the same will happen after the twins arrive.
My OB said that we are going to aim for a delivery around 36 weeks. She said if we get to 38 weeks, it will be amazing! She said most women deliver twins around 36 weeks. So my due date is actually going to be mid February. She highly recommended that I stop taking care of teachers' babies after Christmas break. I'll be 30 weeks when the teachers' go back to work. She said by 30 weeks it will be enough work taking care of the twins inside of me and Stella. She also recommended that I not commit to taking care of babies after the twins arrive. So Josh and I decided to go with her recommendation. I will stop working after Christmas. Stella is going to miss her friends dearly because she has always had friends to play with during the week. But I think we will enjoy our time together before the twins arrive, and our time with the twins next spring. She LOVES babies so I'm sure she will be in love with them.
My next appointment is at the beginning of September. We will get to hear the heartbeats!
I haven't been doing a good job of taking bump pictures. Maybe I'll do a picture on Sunday when I'm dressed up for church. I definitely have a bump going on. It's exciting and I love, love, love it.
My morning sickness is hit or miss. Some days are better than others. It's definitely still there and I do hate that part of pregnancy. I never experienced morning sickness with Stella's pregnancy. I was very lucky. I tried the Vitamin B6 and Unisom for a couple days. It helped but I didn't feel okay with taking a sleep aid every night so I stopped.
I'm not sleeping well at night because I'm constantly going to the bathroom. Oh well! It's okay. Overall I feel that this pregnancy is going very well. I'm excited about our future.
If you have any advice about twin pregnancies, please send it my way!
Hello world!
2 years ago



6 comments:
I was told to gain 15-20 lbs. with my one! So gaining a lot of weight is good with multiples?
Just wanted to delurk and let you know i'm available if you have any questions about twin pregnancy or just questions about having twins. Please stop over at my blog! Congrats!
Apparently my reader is totally busted because I have not been getting your updates! Congratulations on your twin pregnancy! How amazing!!
Hi.... Found your blog from my sister in law who had twins 19 months ago! I babysit them a lot and have to say that routine is the biggest thing!!! She ended up having them at 25 weeks so it is great you will deliver w a NICU on site! Good luck!!!
"When You're Expecting Twins, Triplets or Quads" is a good book, but extreme sometimes. Don't get too into doing exactly what they say because it can be pretty hard to follow the dietary stuff when you are farther along! I love the Got Twins group on babycenter.com. I still go there often for advice and info from other twin mamas.
Let me know if you have any other specific questions!
Congrats! How exciting! I agree with Once Upon a Time - that book can definitely go to the extremes sometimes. I did focus on the general idea of healthy weight gain in the 2T and I drank a modified version of her smoothie recipe every day (until I was diagnosed with GD). I gained 53lbs and my boys were born at 37w and needed no NICU time. they were each 5lb15oz. :)
I also followed Dr. Luke's advice to rest as much as possible. I know this will be hard for you with your LO, but try to stay off your feet as much as possible.
Oh, find a MOM group in your area. Mine has a great message board and they get together for playdates and stuff.
Good luck!
Post a Comment